Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a bittersweet day for me.  As I get older and now that I have children, the day has taken on a new meaning, but there's still a part of me that aches on this day.  Elsa ran to me this morning shouting, "Happy Mommy's Day!" and that made my heart smile.  But knowing I couldn't call my own mom on the phone and wish her a Happy Mother's Day made my heart a little sad.  After seven mother's days without her, it's gotten a tad easier.  Having my own children and my husband spoil me makes my day sweeter.  But it's still a hard day.  It's a day that most all others get to see their moms or call them and talk to them.  It's a day that people focus on all the wonderful things their moms do for them.  It's a day to say thanks.  It's a day for me where I cannot do any of those things.  

I am so thankful to have the wonderful mother-in-law that I have.  One that loves me, teaches me, guides me.  One that loves my children, spoils them, hugs them, and plays with them.  I am blessed to have her my life.  Chad is blessed to have his mom be such an amazing woman.  Elsa and Gavin are blessed to have such a wonderful Nana.  

Being a mom is indescribable.  Until January 7, 2011 I didn't know that I could have so much love for another person (besides Chad of course!).  A love that is different than other loves.  A love that is immediate.  When my little 5 pound precious baby girl was placed in my arms, I immediately fell in love.  And it wasn't until September 22, 2012 that I realized I could love so immediately again.  When my 7 pound handsome baby boy was placed in my arms my heart opened again.  These babies are gifts from God.  He is granting me the blessing of being their mommy.  What an amazing gift!  

So although today is a bittersweet day for me, I look toward Heaven and I know that my Mom is looking down on me.  She is seeing my children that she never met here on Earth.  I want to be a mommy like her.  She was the best!  When I think back to my childhood and remember growing up on that 40 acre farm, she's always in those memories.  Smiling, playing, laughing...whatever she was doing she was so full of life.  Memories of working in the garden, planting flowers, canning, snuggling in that brown lazy boy chair...all smiles.  I am blessed to have had an amazing mom on this Earth for 22 years.  I am blessed to have a wonderful mother-in-law.  I am blessed to have two beautiful, healthy, precious children that God has entrusted to me.  



Today is a blessing.  Thank you God!  

No comments: