As I tucked Elsa in tonight I was explaining that Mommy has to go back to Blue Star tomorrow and she wasn't so sure she liked the idea. I told her that when summer vacation was over, Mommy would have to go back to work. She said, "summer vacation is over?" so concerned. I told her that summer vacation was over and that she'd be going back to LLPP every day, but that we'd still get to do fun things in the late afternoons and evenings and on the weekends. So she seemed to accept the idea a little more.
I am definitely going to miss being home with my two little sweeties each day. I wouldn't be honest if I said I loved every minute of being home with them this summer. Our break started a bit rocky with trying to figure out a routine and a way for Gavin to nurse without Elsa distracting him, which caused a lot of stress on all three of us. But slowly, we got into a groove and figured out what "being home together" meant for us. We played, we read, we painted, we had yummy summer snacks, we played in the pool, we went to the park (almost every day!), we rode bikes, went to Lake Michigan (a current favorite of Elsa's), went to Sandy Pines, had picnics, went camping, and so much more. Elsa started using the potty more frequently and started wearing underwear somedays. Gavin learned to stand by himself and take a few steps at a time (16 is the most he did without falling!). It was wonderful to be home and see them accomplish these milestones.
As I look toward fall, I wonder what our new "normal" will be. It's a little overwhelming to think of working full-time with two kids (let's face it, last year after my maternity leave I was in total survival mode). I love my job and I have the most supportive husband in the world. I know I need to lean on and trust God to guide me through this and help me find the balance between work and home, the balance between my students and my children. It will be a definite learning experience, but I am looking forward to our new "normal".
Some of our favorite summer memories from Summer Vacation 2013:
 |
| Critter Barn - Elsa just LOVES animals! |
Playing at the Beach!
Camping
Sandy Pines
Backyard Fun!
 |
| Lots and lots of new foods for this guy! |
 |
| Moments so sweet they made my heart swell! |
 |
| Feeding the ducks |
Inside Play
Park Fun
Such a GREAT summer!
1 comment:
Ah. Great post Krystle! Next summer will be here before you know it : )
Post a Comment